Saturday, May 30, 2009

5D 4 N, Hong Kong Free & Easy

In year 2007, 15-19 March, I visited Hong Kong. The temperature is about 16˚c - 23˚c, wet temperature about 70 - 95%. End of winter.
This is my first time to fly and also my first time free and easy tour. Yoohoo I am so happy. Hong Kong, is the country that I know through hong kong series show. I never been there. Thanks to Tiger airway promotion, so i got the cheap ticket and now to start my journey to explore this world.

My impression of Hong Kong was the people there are rude, overbearing and fierce. I quite a scare. Wondering that will i met the any fighter, gangster ... ... But I still want to go, i want to see, i think i will like the food there.

When I reach Hong Kong, I am so impress! I love the whether, the scenery and the people actually not bad.

This is my first time travel in free and easy way, so i must do lot homework. Ask friends, online searching, read magazines. check around the best food to eat. The places must go.

Online booking hotel, survey till found the best deal.

Now, I would like to share with you my experiences. Hope this may help you to organize your itinerary.

Enjoy your trip!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are somethings need to take note.

For those who do know how to speak cantonese, you might meet some problem to communicate. Most of the Hong Kong people still prefer to speak in cantonese. It will definitely better if you go there with a friend who can speak cantonese. This will be easier for you to understand the culture.

Clothes, please check the whether, either online or ask around. If you are planning to shopping, please always check when is the best shopping period. Usually, my friend would prefer to go for summer sale, you can get cheap clothes and suit to wear in our country. I went during then change season of winter to spring. I able to bought some winter wear in good quality at only SGD78. Some more is branded. Well, dear all, while shopping, please ensure you don't spend too much. Must judge by own abilities. Avoid to bring credit card if you can't control.


Food, I would said that Hong Kong is really the heaven of cuisine. There are several variety of food, nice and yummy, as well as cheap! Please prepare the empty stomach to enjoy the nice food. However, only one thing that I am disappointed, their spicy food really not that good. Compare to Malaysia. Really quite disappointed. If you love spicy food, better don't try the spicy food here. But the Mcdonald here is nice.

Stay, depend how much you can effort. To me, I think staying in Hong Kong, better find a place that near to mrt. Also find a place that comfortable. Well, we will spend time and energy to walk around, shopping... ... so must find a place to rest. Rest well for better trips.
I rent a room nearby Women Street, named Stanford Hotel which located at Soy street. Near to Wong Kok and Yau Ma Dei MTR.

Visit these website for better offers, http://www.asiarooms.com/http://www.wotif.com/http://www.octopus.com/


Transportation, Hong Kong has a very systematic transportation system with clear signage. There are several type of vehicle such as bus, tram, cab, train, MTR, cruise.


Note: when get into the bus, that is a screen beside the driver. Pay according to the price stated. Price will be charge when get into the bus, no matter which stop you alight.

Before depart, remember to exchange some Hong Kong dollar. That will be better if you get small change. Once you alight to the airport, you will need to use coins for bus fare. The exchange rate over there quite low compare to Singapore.

Visit this for the latest rate, http://www.xe.com/


If possible, visit The Hong Kong Tourism Board. There are some activities that only applicable for tourist. From there you will know the culture as well.

Visitor Centres Hong Kong International Airport Buffer Halls A and B, Arrivals Level, Terminal 1 7am - 11pm daily Tourist literature and i CyberLink (access to DiscoverHongKong.com) available 24 hours Lo Wu Arrival Hall, 2/F, Lo Wu Terminal Building 8am - 6pm daily Tourist literature and i CyberLink (access to DiscoverHongKong.com) available 24 hours Hong Kong Island MTR Causeway Bay Station (near Exit F) 8am - 8pm daily The Peak Piazza (between The Peak Tower and The Peak Galleria) 9am - 9pm daily Kowloon Star Ferry Concourse, Tsim Sha Tsui 8am - 8pm daily Beijing Shop EE20, LG, Beijing Oriental Plaza, No. 1 East Chang'an Avenue, Dongcheng District, Beijing, 1000738, PRC 10am - 9pm daily Tel: +86 10 8518 3775 E-mail: bejwwo@hktb.com



Our Hong Kong Free & Easy Trip
- whole trip without taxi -

We took the flight to Macau in the morning 9 o'clock. About 7 o'clock we reach to Budget Terminal. About 3 hours and 20 minutes, we reached to Macau Airport. Wow, that is really cold, shiok!

Macau Airport quite small, not crowded, not much shops. There are many tour counter that offer day tour packages. That is a small size bank that offer currency exchange service. You may change some small change there. At the same time, you may visit the tour counter beside the bank. You may ask the ladies there how to go Hong Kong - Macau ferry terminal. We took the mini bus No 10 to ferry. That is a place for you to place luggage. This is not free, you will need to pay for it. But is cheap, 2 of us with luggage out fare only about HK10, about SGD2. The whole journey takes about 1 hour we took this opportunity to view the scenery in Macau.

Alighted to jetty, from the main entrance, take escalator to 2nd floor. There are several counter on your left. On your right hand side is the waiting area. There are several ways to go Hong Kong such as Ferry
http://www.nwff.com.hk/english/nwff100000.asp,Turbo Jet http://www.turbojet.com.hk/index_chi.htm or helicopter.

Price for ferry and turbo jet about HK150,helicopter cost more than double. The journey for ferry and turbo jet take about 1 hour.

While we were buying the ticket, the ticket sales operator will ask you which jetty you want to alight. This is very important because Hong Kong has more than one jetty. I wast stunt. I had no idea at all. I was thinking that Wong Kok at Kao Long, so I just bought the ticket to Kao Long.

OMG, when we reached to kao long, something happened. There are not MTR link to that jetty! We can't find our way out. We took lot time to reach bus signages. But we still can't find our way. While, we just get into the bus and ask the driver. The driver said we can only reach to train station not MTR station. The drive not that friendly. He don't say much. So what can we do? Just took it.

Alighted from the bus, we reached the bus terminal. We are totally lose. OMG. No sign, no people. I don't know how to go. While we were figuring out the way. Got one nanny asked us where we want to go. She showed us the way and bring us to take mini bus. Not only that, she told the bus conductor that where we want to go. They are so kind so helpful! So not all Hong Kong people not helpful. Along the way, the driver still worried. Again we are lucky, we meet one passenger who can speak although not fluently. He helps us to see the map and talk to the driver. We have a nice chat with him.

While we were reached, the driver tell us how to go and ensure that we able to find that hotel as they understood that Hong Kong street might quite confusing for tourist. Both of them, again and again tell us that to be careful. I'm really really felt touching! So kind of them.

Ok, now. Let's me tell you about the jetty. Confusing? Actually i alight to the right jetty. Just that this jetty do not link to MTR. For foreigner, as you are not familiar with the places, so to alight to this jetty can spend more of your time. If affordable, you may take cab instead. But sorry that I don't know how much its cost.

Therefore, the better option is to alight at Hong Kong Island. This jetty linked directly to MTR. This really more convenient for those first time visit Hong Kong with ferry. But it is farer.

Finally, we reached to the hotel. Not luxury but is a nice and comfort hotel to me. Mattress very comfortable. Services are very good, I would said excellent. The concierge will intro you the place to go and visit. Well, guy! You know, although we come for free and easy tour but if they really give you damn fantastic services, please do not stingy and give them some tips okay? This is an encouragement to them. I'm sure the compliment is more than money.

After 30 minutes rest, we ask the concierge the direction to
Avenue of Stars. He explained to us clearly and tell us the variety of bus that reach there.

Due to time constraint, we reached hotel about 5+ pm. Therefore I made the decision to visit the
Avenue of Stars for the first stop. About 8 o'clock at night, here will have the performance that combine lights, music and building, that really impressing! The scene at Harbour Victoria already attract me, from here I can view the best view of Hong Kong Island. Meanwhile, I had my dinner at the mall nearby. I ordered Mcdonald, my friend will know that actually I don't like to eat Mcdonald, but since I came here, well just give a try. I heard the taste different. I ordered the pork one. This one can't find in neither Malaysia nor Singapore. MUST-TRY!

WOW, nice! sorry because too nice i forgot to take photo. The amazing part is that, the meat, i can felt the texture of the meat, taste just nice to me. Not very salty. Plus, more valuable is that the price cheaper!!!! WOW, guy i'm telling you - must try! okay! But sorry to Muslim, here not halal.


I really impress and change my perception of Hong Kong and the people here. Don't judge the book by the cover really meant to it. I'm sure I will gain lot more knowledge in coming trips.

The next day, we woke up early in the morning about 7am. Well, if you like me, want to know how the lifestyle here, want to explore the culture here. Better don't spend time to sleep. Get up earlier to explore here!

March in Hong Kong pretty cold. The temperature like end of the year in Genting. Sometimes will rain but not heavily. To me is very cool. So better bring some jacket in case needed.

I like the breakfast here because is quite close to what I have in Malaysia. There are sandwiches, cart noodles, che cheong fun, glutinous rice and so on. Dim sum is one of the must-try food! But I didn't try!!!!!! I'm so regret but what to do we were too full during that time. Really can't take more!!! Perhaps next visit!



I love the che cheong fun, I can't taste the ingredients that used, but the fragrant seduce my taste bud. The sauces very thick. I think they do something to the sesame to make it so seducing. Congee also very nice, is the thick type. I love that. We also ordered coffee and tea here. We are not familiar the taste, taste weird. It is not too bad, just not used to it.

Along the way to MTR, I saw old folk practice "qi gong", taking a walk, spend time with their pet... ... so relaxing!


I was planning to go some where far from town. So we bought the MTR 1 day pass, this card allow us to travel with MTR with 24 hours. Anyway we want to stop or alight is up to us. E.g. if you start travel 8am, you may use to the next day 8am.

You need to calculate your trips' expanses and decide on which is more worth it.




The MTR here has more service lines and interchange. Before depart, please check clearly that which line to take and which interchange to transfer. Same with Singapore when use the escalator, please keep to one side. In Hong Kong you need to keep to Right!

Bear in mind, others people need to work while we are sightseeing. So please more alert and give way, okay?


Alight to Tung Chung Station, I though it will like Harbour Front in Singapore. I though once come out from the MTR should be the cable car station, well, this place is big and seem no people. Exit from the entrance. wow, a big building in front of me. Nice~~

Before I come here, my friend already told us that this cable car really very high. This make me scare and hesitating. If one way trip I think I still can take it. But two way trip... erm ... I don't think so.... So finally we decided... to take the offer from an auntie... cable plus bus total at HK$ 73. Unlimited bus rides.

However, bus ride also gave me surprise.... that's frighten me also. The road very narrow and lot slope... the driver drove very fast... and you can see the cliff in the bus... I can tell you that is really unforgettable experience.



Many people were queueing to ride cable car. I realized quite number of them are local. I believe they went there to pray and bliss for families...

One cable car can contain 8 people. We met 2 Singaporean... well as you know... usually .. we will take photo during the journey... you know what... when we reached there.. wah.. that counter's LCD screen appear our photo... OMG !!! they record it.... so beware of your behavior yoo...

At a glance, this area quite big also... choose the location that we wished to visit.. we went to visit the giant buddha first... very high of its location. we have to climb staircase... when just starter.. i was very excited... when reached halfway... hoo... very tired of me... OMG... still have long way to go... fen ... let's go let's go... take a rest.. and take photo to proof that I been here before.. hahahhah about 10 minutes later continue my journey...

Finally ... reached... woo.. that's really great.. the statue huge is not easy for you to shoot the photo of it also... around the buddha there are many statues I believe there are some follower of the buddha...

Hong Kong International Artist Anita Mui... her tomb is here ... till date .. there are still many fan pray her... I see lot flower around there.... miss her Anita... the star forever...


Next, we came to Temple lotus. There were really a lot people. The ticket that we bought include lunch. In my country, as you know, most of the vegetarian food not that nice and there are lot fake chicken, fish and meat and so on.

Well, while there served us the dishes, I was surprised... look at the picture below, as you seen, all were vegetables... no fake chicken nor meat... does it look tasty? no? well, don't judge the book by its cover.. let me tell you .. the taste awesome.. super delicious.. the soup really taste fantastic... I won't believe it from veggie till i tasted it! I will guarantee to you that this the best vegetarian food that i been tasted. So, if you here, then you should taste it!

Rest at the sides after I had a full lunch.. erm.. something happen.. there were a long queue... I wonder what was that .. so I queue also... erm there were selling a big bao... well is a really big bao... so i bought one also.. while I was paying.. one of the customer asking about this big bao.. Ooh.. this was done by all the master here.. they do this once a year when there is a ceremony ... I was so lucky..!!! Am i?

I tell you that giant bao !!! really damn tasty!! even better than the meat bao that i had tasted!!! Damn nice.. those who missed it.. sure regret!!



Later, we went to "xin jing jian lin". There were few Hong Kong kung fu series took the scene here. They built this at the slope.. while walking you have to balance yourself.. I like the weather here... air so fresh...


Next we came to "mei wo". There is a jetty here, looking at this car park full with bicycle, I believe most of the resident here park their bicycle here and transfer ferry to go Hong Kong Island for work. If compare, living in Singapore really so happiness... so convenient in Singapore.. right? Cherish it!



After that, we came to "da Ao". "Da Ao" is a fish village. The resident depend on fishing for living. However, now some of them depend on the tourist also...

The picture below shown the house that they stayed last time. That was the first type of house that stayed. They called it "Da Peng Wu". Now no more people stay this type of house. They build a new one.

Come to "Da Ao" actually must eat seafood. Because one of the famous place to eat seafood here..in Hong Kong. However, I was so full after eating that Giant bao.. too sad ... can't have my seafood feast over here.... well I tasted the soya bean ... very nice .. smooth and tasty.. but too bad that i never taste the seafood here.. haiz..



About 5pm plus, we departed back to hotel. We had our dinner nearby our hotel area. Reached to hotel about 7pm also. After dinner about 8pm, we rest and prepare for next morning.

The third day, all the stall here was long queue.. so while wondering how the taste.. we decided to join the long queue also.. due to the stalls nearby to MTR stations entrance.. I believe there are many people will queue to get their delicious breakfast..

The stall is small but sell variety of food such as noodles, sandwiches and so on.. I like the sandwiches here, all hand made on the spot and are selling fast. You can see the boss spent a lot of time to prepare.. but within an hour. All sold out!!

If you come here, Yau Ma dee MTR station, you must taste it. Its taste.. really marvelous... The combination of the ingredient really perfect match.. taste just nice very light very healthy to start a new day. No wonder always long queue. Worth it!!!

Lady boss, I'll be back!

My next destination, see picture below... dang.. dang .. dang .. dang......

This is an ancient ship. It has hundred years of history. This is the one that I wanted to ride on it! It's named "Ya Ling Hao" and it only for tourist. So special!! BUT!!! OMG .. I was so unlucky that .. they just sent the ship for servicing... so I can't ride it.. sight.. was thinking to take a photo with it .. too bad...

Anyway, friend, if you wanted to do so .. please register thru Hong Kong Tourism Board, the friendly staff there will arrange for you.




So, next we came to stanley Market, there are many caucasian here and many of western restaurant here as well. We didn't spent much time here. The things here not cheap more for tourism. Nothing really special here. But the scenes along the journey really nice... The houses here built at the slope.. facing sea... really nice fengshui... I heard that rich people are staying these area.. causeway bay....



Next, we went to Jumbo seafood.. one of the MUST-GO place in Hong Kong.. However.. unlucky me .. the same thing.. sent for servicing... so I was unable to experience it... sight....

Next, we came to The Peak!!!! MUST come!!

I went there with bus.. it's scary.. the road... lot of turning point.. and road very narrow.. the driver drove very fast.. i sat in the double decker bus... upper decker.. near to the window... the scene... not only nice but wah also frighten me... really scary..

Finally I reached... alight from the bus... yoohoo.. wah.. is cool .. windy... look at my hair.. you know how strong the wind is.. like mad people huh... hahahhaha



Once you are here at The Peak, you must also go to the Wax Museum http://www.hongkong-tour.cn/lvyoutupian/tuxiafuren.htm. Entrance fee about SGD25. You can meet lot super star... they all look real. Worth to go!!

While on the way back to hotel, we ate some fish ball. Taste not bad, but I don't really like it. I felt is too oily .. the taste too strong too salty... the spicy taste also different .. i think I prefer ours....

Conclusion, Hong Kong really a nice heaven for food, shop and play.. you have to well plan of your trip .. even eat.. plan it well so you can taste the maximum food... really tasty..

So friend, start your journey to Hong Kong now!! Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment