Friday, May 14, 2010

2010 April 28 - May 13 A trip to Vietnam

I wanna a break! After quitted my job, I really wanna a break to freshen up my mind. While wondering where to go and when to go ... Tigerairways $0.01 ticket promotion really tempt me a lot.. and my God-bro, Paul is now working in Vietnam. Without second thought, I made the decision to travel Vietnam for 2 weeks.


Seriously I had no idea about Vietnam at all. The only thing I know is they have their own language and is a poor and in-developing country. Scamming from internet, roughly know that I should visit Halongbay, one of the famous spot and is a MUST-GO place before you die.  


Fortunately, my friend Tio told me that I should go to SAPA as well. I took his opinion and make it in this trip. No regret is really a nice place.


After this trip, I think I know more about Vietnam and here my sharing with you all my friend. Hope you enjoy reading. 




Day 1 - Apr 28 - Saigon
Touched down to Ho Chi Minh International Airport. Weather is hot and humid. 


My brother had called for me the taxi but she - Ms Hong was unable to pick me and she told me to find other taxi which same company with her. I can't really understand her english that with her strong accent. I was quite panic as I can't really understand the english that the people here. So I was trying to look for the taxi that she mentioned... but unfortunately I got no one .. and many people kept asking me ... "taxi" "taxi" and finally I answered to one of the approached and I called Ms Hong again. So Ms Hong was telling the driver where to send me. 


I wondered why can't she just tell me where i should go... but soon I realised the Vietnamese language is not easy to pronounce.. although is the form of "abc" but the special pronunciation is not easy. E.g. "Pho" I might pronounce as "po" but is actually pronounce at "fur".


Well, with her help, I was able to reach the place but she didn't tell me how much usually it's cost.. but I was quite lucky that never been "chop head". I was charged about SGD25 for the taxi. Was over charged about SGD5-7 as I don't have VND so I paid him in SGD. 


Reached to the town area at about 10 am. First thing, change my money... SGD200... then he gave me VND 2,750,000. Wow... so I'm millionaire!! hahaha ... the figure so big I wasn't really count the money. 


I just walked around... start to observe this country this place.. HCM or well known as Saigon. Beside the hot weather ... the most impress me is the traffic, very crowded and not understandable driving rules. I don't think I can drive if I live here. 


I was so tired and so hungry ... didn't walk far.. I found one hotel - Boon Seng Hotel that offered buffet lunch at VND 130,000 but start at 11 am. So I just wait there. The bellboy is very friendly. He informed me when is the time for lunch and kept my luggage nicely in concierge. 


At 11 am, finally lunch time. I enjoyed so much and the staffs are so friendly. One of the staff aware that I am not local people. She showed me and prepared for me the food with the right condiments. 


Wow I think Vietnam is a nice country with nice people ... from here start my journey ... explore Vietnam~


After lunch, with my big bag, walked around ... big shop .. small shop ... branded shop and old shop... all different kind of shops are here.


I saw many people, having a tea time at the roadside. Really just right beside the road. Enjoying their coffee... with the small table and stool... very relaxing... wonder what are they work as.. 


Crossing road is something new to me in here. I would said as Malaysian, we are smart to cross road in whatever term.. but here... so scary.. the entire traffic to me is a mess... I can't understand their rules.. really has no idea at all... so you know how... I follow people when I wanna cross... and after that my bro told me... basically only way 


"close your eyes, look forward and cross" 


I was puzzled.. and he explained, this the way here and if you doubt you might cause the accident. They will look after you and they will horn if you are in danger. So I think this country is the country that use "horn" the most. 


I was so tired and hot. About 2 pm, I went to my bro place, thanks to the technology. So I can enter the apartment without key. I spent the rest of the day inside the apartment.


At the night, I was so lucky that my bro's cousin - Rachel, her mum was cooking and offering to join them for dinner. It was so yummy. I had a great dinner on my first night. 


Later on, Rachel intro me where to visit in Vietnam and pass me a guide book. She said I can book with this company, they are famous in Vietnam ----> Sinh Cafe now had changed their name to The Sinh Tourist. Due to many people start to use their name as they didn't register at first. 





You may check on their website if you interested   http://www.thesinhtourist.vn/


End of the day. Nothing much happened. 






Day 2 - Apr 29 - Saigon
Thanks to Rachel, I found the tour that I wanna go. 


Booked my tour, luckily this time the staff can speak well english. Spent about half hour to book. She booked for me the tour that I want, include airport transfer. In this tour I had 3 flight. 


Saigon (fly) > DaNang (bus) > Hue (fly) > Hanoi (bus) > Halong Bay (train) > Sapa (train) > Hanoi (fly) > Saigon.


from 3 - 12 May.


Total cost me VND 12,120,000. ~SGD880


Is cheap right? Wonder how they earn... after the trip I am fully understand....


Next, I came to Ben Thanh Market. Most popular market in Saigon. Like the Petaling Street in KL (chi cheong kai)








I didn't spend much time here .... I don't like this type of market, hard sell market. 


The weather really hot and I can't stand for long time. Found a cafe.. look nice so try it out... 






this taste bit similar to chinese cuisine


At the night, we had our dinner at Ban Xeo.. one of the must try vietnamese food. 


Ban Xeo is like the oyster omelet here.. different filling and more crispy..






While on the way back home... omg.. the dust on the road... was flown in the air... so dusty.. and there are food stall just next to the road... i can felt the dust on my face... No idea how they enjoyed so much... 




Day 3 - Apr 30 - Saigon
Early the morning, with Paul & Ms Hong, went for breakfast. We ate 'pho', Vietnamese beef noodles. It is nice... i love that but not all the leaf i can accept.. some smell of the leaf i don't really like it...


People here eat Pho with some raw leaf... eat together with the soup.. some people love that way to enjoy pho... but not me :)




Then we went to Central Post office... it's gothic architecture.. was so interesting..  




Then another coffee time.. end of today... 






Day 4 - May 1 - Saigon
Visited Reunification Palace - Ho Chi Minh city. Due to public holiday, there are many people were visiting. 






Day 5 - May 2 - Saigon
Ride on free shuttle bus, went to lotte mart. One of the shopping mall in saigon, operated by korean. 


Here I tasted the KFC. Similar taste but I still prefer the Malaysia one.






Day 6 - May 3 - Da Nang, Hoi An
Set up to airport, flow to Da Nang. This my first trips that fly so many times. wow I love it. 


About 1.5 hours, reach to the domestic airport at Da Nang. Along the way, I was enjoyed very much the sea view. 


Heading to Hoi An. About 1 hour driving. Along the way, the driver was chatting with me, he can speak english quite well. He told me that he only earn VND 2 million, which is about SGD 180. Very little. But living cost in the countryside is cheap. VND 10,000 for a meal. That's how they live.


Soon reached to Hoi An, Thanh Binh III Hotel the hotel that I stayed. wow i love here... is not luxury but it so nice, comfy, nice king size bed, small but cool swimming pool, friendly staff... cool i love here... i had the most nice sleep here among all.


I was unable to enjoy the swimming pool cause I didn't bring the attire.. too bad... it was too late when I bought. 


Rented a bicycle at VND 20,000 only for whole day, cycles around the town. I love Hoi An, a nice place to unwind myself. so relax when i cycled around. 


I had my  lunch at nice restaurant.. but is too expansive. A fried rice cost me VND 100,000 which double of others restaurant.

There are many ancient building. It's really amazing and I make it here... if you were here i think you will be understand of my thoughts and my feeling...




Day 7 - May 4 - Hoi An
Follow on the tour, first place, went to the My Son tour. My Son, (mei san in chinese) meaning is beautiful mountain. Vietnam has quite strong influence from China. 


There are many damage block... old building, were hindu temple last time. There were destroyed during the war time. Now only leave 30% of the original look. 


Finish my tour with boat ride, had lunch on boat. A very simple home cook lunch. 


Backed to hotel, shower and relax myself with delicious vietnamese dinner. 




Day 8 - May 5 - HoiAn > Hue
Woke up early, had my breakfast. Follow the morning sleeping bus, heading to Hue.


Stop by marble mountain. 


Reached Hue at about 12 noon. Waiting at the Sinh Cafe office.... for the hotel pick up. 


Reached to the hotel. Too bad. Not electricity!!! It was so hot!!! and I can't bath.. omg kill me please... that's killing.. 


Lucky lobby had limited power. So I charge my phone with the computer. Something happened...


A Japanese, Hiroshi, he lost his passport and wallet... the important things with him.... all lost... he had an argument with a motorbike taxi driver.. the driver wants the money and well he had nothing to pay him.


They were arguing for long time .. the hotel staff seem can't help up. So I paid for his fare and gave him VND 100,000. Wonder how was him now.. the money i gave only can let him survive for a day... hopefully he is doing well now..




Walk around, settled my lunch... but well the electricity will only resume at around 7 pm..... omg I really can't stand the hot air anymore...


Hangout at a cafe... my first tried of Saigon beer... the local beer.. tried to cool down with beer... not bad.. taste great. 


Around 6 pm, finally electricity resumed!! I finally can enjoyed my shower... rest at room as I was so tired... 






Day 9 - May 6 - Hue 
Follow DMZ tour... a war area .. we go through the tunnel. There were dark inside and cold. We were unlucky, there were no power in the tunnel. After we came out from the first tunnel, we suppose to go back with another tunnel. Cause no power, the tunnel was so dark... so we can't see therefore we need to go the other way which is further to the bus...


Even with light, still quite dimmed, so is better to have a torch with you.


Tips: bring along the torch with you. Remember to apply insert repellent before you enter to the tunnel.


along the way saw the very lousy at the mountain... nice view and river is so clear...and i saw many of the people there shower at the river.. fishing.. washing clothes... the very traditional living way... 


One of the tour member was prepared. She distributed the sweets to all the children there. The children were expecting on the treat.. 


At night, dinner at why not cafe ... with the beer again .. is nice to drink beer when the weather was supreme hot.




Day 10 - May 7 - Hue 
Continue trip in Hue, this day went to visited the most famous tomb in Hue. 


First visited the Tu Duc Tomb, he managed the country for 35 years. But people said that he was not happy. He had many wives but no children. He is a writer also, he wrote poem. 


Second, we came to Minh Mang Tomb, the most colourful tomb. He managed the country for only 9 years. He was not respect by the people as he wasted money during his management. 


Third, Khai Dinh Tomb, too bad I was not allow to take picture here. Simple one. not much crafting... 


Next visited Citadel, forbidden purple city in Vietnam. 


Backed to the town for lunch.. hopped on to bus.. heading to Tien Mu Pagoda. 


After that, ride dragon boat and alighted at the port nearby city. 


Tips: Entrance fee for each place is VND 55,000 for foreigner and VND 35,000 for locals.


Night flight at 9 pm, flown to Hanoi. 1.5 hours flight and 1 hour taxi ride... reached to Honoi hotel about 11.30 pm. I was extremely tired!!


The next morning still need to wake up early. So so so tired... shower and sleep immediately.




Day 11 - May 8 - Halong Bay
Yoo hoo ... Halong Bay .. here i come...


A place that surrounded with thousand of islands. Wonder how nice was that...


Is a nice place.. is like a chinese painting .. so so so many of the island .. make this place so special. It's under the UNESCO certified as world heritage place. 


Visited the cave of one of the island. It's huge inside and cold feeling. 


Some activities around that area, beaches or kayaking... are always available.


Pollution, again a problem for a tourism place. Although there are signage shown that no smoking... but everyone still do that!! There were many rubbish in the sea also.. 


Hope that people, whoever please take are of the environment.. it won't be nice anymore if we do not take care of them... please all...


My only regret that I spent my night on boat. It was quite bored. KTV is the only activity. 
During night time, only thing can see i think is sky with stars... other than that.. chatting will be good... I was scared of insert as I was bitten so many times.. so I rest earlier than others. 


Air-condition and water heated was controlled due to limited resources. 


I think it will be nicer if stay a night on the island.. well still a nice trip. 




Day 12 - May 9 - Honoi > Sapa
Time to say goodbye to Halong. Backed to the hotel. 


Took the night sleeping train at 9 pm. 


Meet a couple, Vietnamese but currently staying in California. Nice to meet them during my Sapa trip. 


Meet a man who is a teacher was heading to Sapa for teaching. A nice guy who shared with us the story of Hanoi.




Day 13 - May 10 - Sapa
Reached Sapa train station at 5 am. 


Small bus fetched us. About 1.5 hour drive, we reached to the town.


After shower and breakfast, here we started our journey to the village. First we came to cat cat village. The people here are poor. Most of them not educated and some of the parent not allow their children to go for study as they want them to earn money. 


I saw many children, most of the girl doing the selling job. With the pouches, wallets... they were doing the sales... some of them even need to carry their sibling with them... to gain sympathy from tourist. We were warned not to give money to them. So, to survive, they were trying so hard to sell all the things...


Once I bought, the rest will come to me as well. They will follow you and kept saying "buy 1 from me... you buy 1 from me... i give you cheap..


I was so upset during my trip here ...


After that, booked my tour guide cheng on other tour to Ta Van Village, this was not included in the tour that i bought earlier. Since got free time, so share with Sofie, she from france and one spanish. 3 of us on this trip... 


cheng charge us cheap, the tour include car... only 3 of us.. per pax only VND 130,000. That's about SGD10. 


Ta Van village is staying yao people - Miao zhu in chinese. They were not that friendly and very poor. 


From the house that they stayed. Cat Cat village people are living better than them. 


Yao people was so fierce. i can't forgot.. they were kept saying that .. you come to here you must buy thing ... if you don't buy zhao not happy .. then u not good... (I believe zhao is their god)


End of today trip after visited Ta Van Village. 


Dinner and rest.








Day 14 - May 11 - Sapa
Too bad, this day was raining.. so foggy we can't really see thing clearly.


Continue our journey. Cheng said that we will need to walk for 12 km to reach to the Lao Chai Village. 


So here we go .. and ... there are 3 ladies.. were following on us... wonder why.. soon I know..


I though the journey is similar to what we had been the previous day. Well a hard trekking trip ahead us...


Rain stopped... then we continue our journey... 


Soon .. I realised why the ladies were following.. the road is not well finished... muddy road.. so along the way.. the lady was holding my hand firmly ...... so many time I was almost fall down.. thankfully with them we were safe in our trekking.. and dear my friend ... this is not free!! Got to paid for it...


When we reached.. they were begging us to buy things from them... non-stop till you buy... 


Lunch at the village. Rest a while.. then continue.. their house are very simple.. 


Then we went to Zhai Village. The people in Zhai are more modern... most of them not wearing traditional clothes. I tried their rice wine.. wow very strong ... 


End of the trip backed to hotel with bus.


We got to ride on the night train back to Hanoi. So got to wait at hotel. Dinner.


The hotel is nice although I had check out in the morning, but I still can shower there and they will provide us the towel.


After dinner, around 7 pm, with the bus heading to train station. 


9 pm, ride on train back to Hanoi. Same cabin with Sofie. 




Day 15 - May 12 - Hanoi > Saigon
5 am, reached to Hanoi. So we thought that the person who pick us up will do the nice arrangement for us. But well, you know what.. he paid for the taxi and the taxi sent us to the office (Sinh cafe) and no one there. Shop was closed. We were tired. 


Luckily I met new friend - Sofie. So we were sharing a room for bath and a rest. Paid USD 7 per pax for this extension stay which only 2 hours. Breakfast was included and nicely prepared.




Tips: I would suggest that make Sapa your last stop and book the taxi to the airport straightaway instead to the hotel. So you save one trip and try to book earliest ticket back to your home. Instead of wasting time of waiting... 


Time still early, so I walked around the streets.. and snap some shots. Generally I don't like Hanoi much. 


Time flied and soon I got my way back to saigon. Ms Hong picked me up and offered to bring me for dinner... 


In the end we didn't make it as she had something urgent to do. 


Dinner with instant noodle and TV show... I had a great night in Saigon. Soon time to say goodbye...




Day 16 - May 13 - Saigon > Singapore
My flight is 1725. As Ms Hong can't keep her promise, she got me another taxi. But this driver can't speak english and worse was... her car's tyre punctured. So again... changed driver lucky was on time. 


Smoothly check in and flown back to Singapore. 


Finally home. Miss home and my bed....  



















No comments:

Post a Comment