Saturday, November 20, 2010

Beware when u change currency esp in Bali!

This is my first time experience this! Bad experience and I would like to share this hope everyone be alert. 

I was too rush during this trip, so I changed my currency in Bali. We were so staving and we had not enough Rupiah, therefore we had to change our currency. 

So, start to looking for money changer. I noticed, their rate is so different for each stall. Some too low and some too high. This is unusual. 

When i passed by one, they waived to me, the rate (1:6890) similar to Singapore, so I just changed there. Here the trick starts:

I was changing SGD150 so about Rp 1.034.000, so I gave him another Rp16.000 so my total change will be Rp1.050.000 = 21 pcs of Rp50.000

He took his money out and count by Rp100.000 in each group, there are 10 group so is Rp1.000.000 and another 1 pc of Rp 50.000

Okay, done now he passed me all the money. 

************** this the trick started!!******************

I used to count my money. When I counted it for 3-4 times, weird... it wasn't 21 pcs of notes!! Is only 15 pcs!!! 

obviously he saw that, he took my money and gave it back to me ask me to count in Rp100.000 in each group. So again is Rp1.000.000

I wanted to collect the money on the counter desk, but he was faster than me ... when he passed me back the money

i count again.... 4-5 times.. ( i love to count money )

and this time i asked my friend to count with me Rp100.000 in each group....

so is not correct... 

he saw that and now he blamed us back. He said I suppose to gave him Rp16.000 but i gave him only Rp7.000.. he said one of the notes is not Rp10.000

Without much comment, i took my money back to leave there. I lost Rp9.000 but lucky he didn't hurt me. 

Every time he passed me the money, he did some trick. 

I believe they use the same trick on many ppl... and usually a lot people don't like to count and many of us was blur with the "0".

Here some tips to share: 提示:

  1. change in small amount in first time. eg. SGD50 or USD 10 to observe whether the money changer is trustworthy. 
  2. ask for hotel, restaurant staff of the trustworthy money changer.
  3. count in every time you change ur money. Do not scare of the "0" get the number before you change. eg. SGD 50 about Rp340.000, about 6 pcs of Rp50.000. plus Rp 40.000
  4. cover the last 3 zero, this make u easier to count.
  5. Don't panic. Be calm when do counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment